Study Fast Facts
- Cardiovascular system:
- Understanding the principles of and indications for myocardial perfusion imaging using exercise and pharmacological stress, and for radionuclide ventriculography
- Understanding the role of myocardial perfusion imaging in the post infarct patient, in patients who have undergone revascularisation procedures and its use in the detection of viable myocardium, stunned and hibernating myocardium.
- Respiratory system:
- Understanding the principles of and indications for lung ventilation and perfusion imaging
- Understanding the role of contrast venography, compression ultrasound and pulmonary angiography in the diagnosis of pulmonary embolism.
- Musculoskeletal system:
- Understanding the principles of and clinical indications for bone scanning with particular reference to oncology and rheumatology
- Understanding the role of bone scanning in the diagnosis of disease and the integration of bone scan findings with plain radiography, CT scanning and MRI
- Understanding the role of therapeutic radiopharmaceuticals in the palliation of pain from metastatic bone disease
- Understanding the principles of dual photon absorptiometry and its role in the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis.
- Gastrointestinal system:
- Understanding the principles of and indications for oesophageal motility studies; gastric emptying scans; colon transit studies; hepatobiliary studies; gastrointestinal bleeding studies; cavernous haemangioma studies; urea breath tests and labelled white cell scans
- Capable of interpreting the results of these scans and integrating those results with the results of abdominal CT scanning and abdominal ultrasound.
- Understanding the principles of and indications for renal perfusion scanning, renal cortical scanning and glomerular filtration rate estimation
- Understanding the use and limitation of pharmacological intervention (diuretics, ACE inhibitors) in dynamic renal scanning
- Understanding the role of renal perfusion imaging in the detection of renovascular hypertension.
- Understanding the principles of gallium scanning, white cell scanning, Schilling test, and red blood cell volume and plasma cell volume estimations
- Understanding the clinical indications for gallium scanning in the detection and monitoring of inflammation and malignancy
- Understanding the clinical indications for white cell scanning in the detection of inflammation and infection
- Understanding the role of therapeutic administration of Phosphorus-32 in the treatment of polycythaemia rubra vera.
- Understanding the principles of and indications for cerebral perfusion imaging.
- Understanding the principles of and indications for thyroid scanning, parathyroid scanning, In-111 octreotide scanning and I-131 MIBG scanning
- Understanding the role of I-131 therapy in the treatment of thyrotoxicosis and thyroid cancer.